"Every day counts when we are devoted to God!" -Elizabeth George (A Woman After God's Own Heart)

Jesus was forsaken so we would never be. -Dr. John Barnett

Daily Scripture Verse

"Cast your cares on the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never let the righteous fall." -Psalm 55:22

Friday, December 29, 2006

Testimony of an Anonymous Person


Well, I grew up in Detroit. I spent most of my life fighting with family and people on the block.
I got abused a lot by my dad, physically and verbally. He would tell me how stupid I was and slap me around. He popped my ear drum a few times from hitting me so hard.
I started drinking before I was 12 to deal with stuff.
About the age of 12 we moved down to Texas where I started to learn how to defend myself. I became trained in the art of Kenpo. I found a bunch of new people to fight with and I also found some other kids to drink with.
In Texas, I also started getting into some sexual sin.
Around the age of 13, I was able to fend my dad off so the physical abuse stopped, but the verbal just got worse.
We moved up to Oklahoma where I started up swimming and playing chess. But even in those activities I was able to find the drinkers and trouble makers.
My family situation just got worse. It wasn’t that my family was all that bad. My dad had medication problems which affected his temper. I think it was mostly me. I was a liar, a thief, destructive, drunk, had huge anger problems, and I was really bad into sexual sin.
Despite the fact I was really bad at school I excelled at chess and took 2nd at nationals (open section). (Chess was an excuse for me to hang with smokers, drinkers, and bums basically.) Despite drinking and abusing my body, I became an excellent swimmer, and made Olympic trials by the age of 16 and a half.
At the age of 17, I decided that I needed to do something about my life. My life was really going down the crapper fast. Figured a church might have some good people in it.
I remembered this old annoying guy that had bought some ribs from me years ago and told me about his church. I drove around, found his home and met with him about a week later.
I became a Christian on July 1st at his house and started going to church the week after that.
I met an awesome group of people at this church. They invited me on their float trip and then out to a party. If it weren’t for the fact I have so many awesome friends at my church, I probably would have stopped going and not be where I am now.
It took me months to quit drinking completely.
About 6 months ago I had a series of really bad luck. I actually pulled the trigger of a gun pointed at my head. I am still not sure why it didn’t go off, but I am glad it didn’t. God and my friends helped me through it.
I still sin a lot. And I mean a lot. But every time I do, I turn to my best friend that is standing right next to me every moment ask Him to forgive me and then continue to make it right.
I get along with my family, we still have our problems, but we work through them now.
I took a program called EE (Evangelism Explosion). It teaches you how to share the Gospel. I now witness to everyone I can.
I am currently concentrated on growing closer to God. It is a difficult task, but well worth it. I have realized that the only thing I can give God is the life He gave to me.
Even though I don’t think I will ever be able to get married and have a family, I will have a happy life serving God for sending His Son to die for me and take away my sins.
Oh, and that “old annoying guy” is my best friend now and an awesome accountability partner.
I guess my suggestion to anyone reading this is that no matter how bad things get...turn to God and He will help you. He has turned me from wanting to kill myself to never wanting to die because there are so many people to share His Gospel with. “His name will be the hope of all the world” Matthew 12:21 NIV

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome anonymous. I am greatly encouraged by your testimony. I am going to live for God 100% now. I want to live for God 100%.